COLD ROLLING OILS
ADT (Advanced Dispersion Technology) disruptive technology has been developed with the purpose of getting marked friction reductions as well as an excellent cleanliness of the strip before and after the annealing process.
The ADT oil is a water-dispersed lubricant formulated from bio-based substances and an additive package. It does not contain mineral oils, biocides or other toxic substances.
Oil droplets dispersed in the aqueous phase are bigger than in conventional emulsions and electrostatically charged to enhance adhesion on the steel surface. This ensures uniform spreading on the strip resulting in lower consumption and higher lubricity.
ADT oil shows unrivalled advantages when it comes to spent emulsion downstream treatment. High operating costs shall be borne to break the oil-in-water emulsions, separate spent oil from water and subsequently treat the water phase to comply with the wastewater discharge limits.
Spent ADT dispersions separate spontaneously without any chemical treatment leaving an upper layer of oil that can be skimmed off and sold as a secondary raw material (water content < 0.3%).
The resulting aqueous phase chemical parameters (COD = 500 ppm, Non-Ionic Surfactants = 30 ppm, Oil content = 100 ppm) can be brought within the regulatory discharge limits via a much less intensive treatment or permit direct discharge together with other plant wastewater streams.
- Lower consumption: reduced water evaporation and possibility to operate at reduced concentration (as low as 1%)
- Reduction of the roll forces and power consumption
- Capability to roll strips at lower gauge out, higher gauge in or with larger width
- Lower wear of the work rolls resulting in higher throughput and availability (reduced downtime caused by work roll change out)
- Boosting the mill throughput by increasing the rolling speed
- Superior cleanliness of the strip before and after annealing
- Reduced impact on performance due to contaminants (iron fines or tramp oil)
- Lower sensitivity to pH and temperature variations, and to the microbial contamination (use of biocides not required).
- Reduced environmental footprint (made from bio-based substances)
- Operators are not exposed to VOC liberated from mineral oils
- Design based on a full life cycle assessment: made from bio-based raw materials, easy to dispose